Saturday, March 01, 2008

I've never been a big one for serious art on my walls. And it's only recently that I've pulled out some of my glass pieces I made long time past and put 'em in am Ikea case Dan brought home a while back. I'm still having some visions of the little guy in near-future years doing what my cousin did in my grandparents' house one day and knocking the stuff to shards with a baseball. Oh, that glass art? Planned obsolescence pieces, that work!

I am starting to cast an eye about for some other things, though. The one below has some sentimental value, for certain:

Shortly after a fellow tenant in the house got the poster and put it up on her wall, my landlady grumbled about it a little and wondered aloud if she could possibly get some form of remuneration for the use of her house in that year's poster. We had to dismiss the possibility as highly unlikely, as the house wasn't a copyrighted image under my landlady's name. Oh, that we could all think of these things beforehand...

And then I open up my morning paper and behold this thing of beauty:
My first thought was Finally, a woman on the poster!!!! Had to look it up and found that Mahalia Jackson has been on a poster before - my bad. The thing is, though, a) Mahalia is dead and gone, and b) I have a real fondness for Irma Thomas. The first time I saw her perform was when she was the Soul Queen of Krewe du Vieux many years ago and she rocked the then-recently closed Krauss' department store to the rafters. I am still mourning the disappearance of my hard-won Irma Thomas cup from that parade...not to mention CDs of hers I've owned that were stolen by our horrible thieving movers when we moved up to NYC. Oh, hell, forget the poster - time to get some CDs! Lord knows they are a heck of a lot cheaper...Plus, the one time I saw Irma Thomas at JazzFest, she was a dud. It was a crying shame. Maybe if she decides to use the steel ovaries she's got and demand some kind of remuneration for the use of her image on this year's poster, I'll splurge. A highly unlikely possibility, however.

As for this year's JazzFest, I've got other things to worry about. The first weekend of it happens to coincide with the tail-end of the Passover holiday - which means no bread, no pasta, no rice, no corn, no beer...well, for eight days, there's no leavened products allowed, and the restrictions also include any foods that look like they're rising when they cook, even if they are not technically leavened. At least, that's the Ashkenazic tradition. Dan always half-jokes that we ought to declare ourselves Sephardic Jews just so's we can eat more over those eight days of Passover, but I know it'd be a farce. And yes, I know that pretty much everything at JazzFest is already not kosher, but in past years, when I worked the show as a crafter, the coincidence of Passover with the Fest meant no gumbo for me. Grrrrr...

I think I will simply drag myself to this humble gathering instead. You can bring your own food and drink, do whatcha wanna, and watch some evil little creatures wiggle their way across a makeshift racecourse. Much better than the Corn Festival lizard races in Bunkie at any rate. I'd check with the buckmoth caterpillars to see if their image is copyrighted, however, before beginning a poster series.

5 comments:

boneramafreak said...

It was so nice to meet you last night!!!

I loved that poster as well and am thinking I might want it...the Congo square one isn't bad either!

saintseester said...

Sigh. I do love that poster, and now I can spend the next 2 months coveting it. As well as wishing I could go to jazz fest, too.

Leigh C. said...

Honestly, the more I look at both of these posters, the tougher the decision gets...especially since we are experiencing some car troubles that will most likely put us back some moolah in the coming days.

*sigh*

Anonymous said...

I never regret buying art I love and ALWAYS regret not doing so.

Very nice meeting you last night! Hope we do it again soon!

Anonymous said...

What? You never go see Irma on Mother's Day at the zoo? Moms get in free!