Flipped through the pages a little more and was stunned to see an ad for local public TV station WLAE touting a one-day, four-hour-long Tuition Auction. The participating schools? 45 private and parochial greater New Orleans area institutions, Loyola and Xavier Universities, and Lafayette Academy Charter School.
I don't even know where to start on this one. Too, too many one-liners come to mind:
- I give the phone lines two minutes before the whole system crashes.
- Guess this is what school vouchers are really about.
- Couldn't they have just contracted with Priceline on this?
- Ebay, anybody?
- I need somebody to start handicapping this race, but I don't think Vegas bookies would touch it with a ten-foot pole.
- Edwards is in prison right now kicking himself for not thinking of it first - the kickbacks he could have gotten from parents wanting a better education for their kids!
- I'm sure our goober-natorial representative is rubbing his hands with glee, and his handlers are wondering how they can spin this one to further show how impressive Jindal's record is.
- Stop Louisiana, I wanna get off...and I'm taking New Orleans with me.
Why don't they just throw all the applications down a flight of stairs, and whichever ones reach the bottom are the ones that get first pick? Makes about as much sense.