Friday, February 08, 2008

Important elections coming up! Go with this guy's voting advice. It's a momentous occasion that there are even recommendations coming from that neck of the virtual woods that don't run along the lines of imbibing Rodeo Lawyer beer, firing Les Miles, or just generally being an enlightened advocate of burning the Saints' black pants. Oh - there is that bit at the end about burning the condos. Really, folks, you don't need to do that, since foreclosure happens.

Important job openings with the Inspector General of New Orleans' office need to be filled! Head here for more information.

Important source of many, many Mardi Gras pictures: Sophmom's latest post. Poor lady had to experience Mardi Gras vicariously through Nola.com's ParadeCam at her place of business. Next year in New Orleans! Another few good pic sources: Michael Homan, Howie Luvzus, and dsb nola, as well as Jeffrey's Ash Wednesday/clean-up time post.

Important reviews of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations show on New Orleans, which aired this past Monday, can be seen at AshMo's, Clay's and Pistolette's. Almost makes me wish we had cable or satellite TV. Oh, well...we'll just have to drop by Les Halles the next time we're up in Nu Yawk and give the place some of our bidness. And, if we see Monsieur B in this area soon, we'll be paying for whatever he imbibes as well. L'chaim!

Important ton of bricks on my head:

The last time I did any glassblowing whatsoever was February 14, 2004.

It was the first and only time I've brought my son into a hot glass studio, and he made himself at home, even at the tender age of 14 months or so. It was the studio's first-ever open blow day, and anybody with skills could step right up to the bench, grab a pipe, and gather out of the furnace. When we came to visit, my former glassworking partner almost all through college had just taken ownership of the studio and we were dropping by to say hello and take a mini-vacation from the NYC rat race. Rows of chairs facing the hot shop were set up in the gallery while a small team of workers busied themselves for over an hour making a blown glass heart with sculpted hot bits of glass that were brought over to the gaffer and transformed from molten honey into a leafy vine that snaked around the heart. I put my name into the raffle for a drawing for a pair of hot glass shears, and was elated when I was chosen. I still have those shears, which I fully intend to use someday when I have my own table torch.

After seeing this masterpiece being worked on for such a long length of time, I jumped up there and popped out a hollow-footed wineglass I'd made two of for my wedding. When Dan had taken a drink out of one of them in mid-ceremony, a splash of wine had become trapped in the foot and kicked back on him when he tipped the glass back a little more. Got a nice giggle from him under the chupah!

I'd warned the people there it was going to be quick, and it was - fifteen minutes. Blink and voila! there was the glass. Dan told me later the toolmaker who had come for that day to donate the tools for the raffle and sell some more was really surprised and amazed. Hey, I aimed ta' please, and I figured the crowd there was waiting for their turn to step up.

My former partner in glass certainly stepped up to the ownership and management of the public access studio for many, many years. When I walked away from the shop that day and went back to full-time mommyhood, she kept on keepin' on with a very hard, stressful job. Having taken a few years to recover from a similarly stressful management of a production studio and gallery, I had a good idea of what she was going through. It can become your life, your blood, your baby. The source of great pleasure and satisfaction, as well as the fount of much cussing, kicking, and screaming, just 'cause stuff happens.

I received an email from the studio that the place was shutting its doors after many years. I immediately gave my friend a call and heard the relief in her voice. For personal reasons, she'd made the decision to close up, and it was absolutely the right decision. I am very, very happy for her and wish her well. I certainly hope she never looks back, which can be easier to say than do...but I am confident that she will keep her mojo workin' no matter what she does.

Best to family and friends, Ms S, and I cannot tell you how much I wanna make it to the closing party!!!!

And yes, I have not used the shears on any materials such as paper or plastic. They are being saved for glass and glass only. I'm keeping my promise on that.

4 comments:

D-BB said...

I use to date a girl who was a glass blower. Very disappointing.

Leigh C. said...

That's 'cause most of 'em smoke and are short of breath. They are also encouraged not to suck in on the blowpipes due to the possibility of the molten glass causing major clogs in the pipe heads.

Yep, most of the terminology that has developed around glassworking is rude, crude, and socially unacceptable fer sure. All talk and not too much behind it. ;-)

Though I must say, if you need potatoes cooked fast, nothing's better for that than a 940-degree F annealing oven...

D-BB said...

Ugh, now you tell me.

Anonymous said...

LMAO at d-bb. I'm getting so used to watching Mardi Gras from here that I don't know what I'll do when I'm actually there! The hardest part is the lag/recovery time. I'm sitting here jumping from blog to blog looking for something/anything and hanging 'round the listserv while y'all are out having, well, Mardi Gras and suffering the after effects thereof. Next year.

In the meantime, I'm feeling like I'm needing to come visit sooner, rather than later. Figure I'll let Dangerblond, J.D. finish her BIG BAR first and then start looking for a time to come down. I'm lonely for y'all.

Love the glass-blowing stories. I don't know if I could handle that heat. I'm making pots again, though, happy to be back at it and know full well what it's like to miss one's craft. All in good time.

Take care, darlin'.