Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I'm at Day 15 of this NaBloPoMo deal, and there just ain't no turning back. I am starting the countdown to my family's trip up to Nu Yawk to see the grandparents, the great-grandparents, the aunts and cousins, and my brother and parents. One week before I must begin hijacking other people's computers to aid me in my posting every day cause. Wish me luck...

Know what's been here a tad longer than my posting every day? This gravel-filled pothole in front of my neighbors' house. For those who are gambling types and who read my 10-27 post about this crater, opened up in the street by our own Sewerage and Water Board to solve the water pressure problems my neighbor was having, I never did set up that betting pool, but I can tell you right now that we are nearly two-thirds of the way through a month's time and all that's happened is that the gravel mound that is currently plugging the hole is shrinking a little in size every day.

Mark my words, it won't get fixed until it rips the suspension out of some politician's vehicle while he/she is zooming down our street to get to the Wal-Mart (yeah, right).

I'd get on the horn about it, except for the fact that tonight is D-Day. My son's school's PTO meeting is tonight after a pizza dinner (the PTO gets that much at least: if you feed them for a low price, they will come), and hopefully, the question of a full teacher in-service day once a month, instead of the half-day the school has been doing thus far, will come up. And I will be one of those speaking against it.

First off, the notification of parents about this decision, at least for me and for some other moms I have spoken with, was not good at all. The only way I found out about it was through the PTO newsgroup, when one mom posted about the full day. Next, the fact that, on a weekday, there will be no child care provided. I know of at least one mom who teaches at the school and has a young 'un attending class. What the heck is she gonna do?

Finally, there is the question of how effective a full day of instruction for the teachers is really going to be. I'm all for having teachers stay up to date on the latest stuff and hopefully bring it back to the classroom and help kids with learning, but in this case, it could have been handled a little better. What I really need to do is to see what the school charter says about these days.

Watch out, world! I'm a mom on a mission.

____________________________

Ooh, just took a look at the charter. It says only that once a month, students will be released three hours early for a professional development day. The problem is, I don't think the charter's been updated in a while - the last date is December 2005. And I'm having trouble finding on the charter the procedures for changing the charter.

Too bad that, as far as things like this go, it's not signed in blood or something.

No comments: