Monday, November 06, 2006

Huh. This blogging every day stuff is a different thing for me.

Thus far, I've been seeing my blogging through the eyes of a patient reader of hard copy, which is what I am. I have no problems sitting down and reading a novel, a tome of nonfiction, or some heavy magazine articles at the drop of a hat. In fact, it's one of the things I've rued as a mom - that the time needed to devour such stuff is dwindling. Trying to bring the reading material with me to a playground is truly an exercise in futility, since I try reading a sentence, even a paragraph, only to be interrupted by my son, by his interactions (or, God forbid, altercations) with others at the park, and by having to just keep an eye on every little thing having to do with the environment in which he plays.

And yet, the more I have been checking out the NaBloPoMo randomizer, a device that instantly lets me browse the participants in this "writing every day for a month" exercise, the more I realize what an anomaly I am. The blogs I've been checking out, the few I have been revisiting, and the very few I have left comments on specialize in the short and sweet post, the ADHD write bite. Recap the days news on a personal, local, national, or international level. Throw in a meme when things get writers' block-y.

My absolute personal favorite, and one which is turning into a daily ritual since I first saw it, is the daily care and feeding of a virtual pet. Mr Pibbles is just too cute for me to pass up. And what a way to keep people coming back to your blog to see what's new. Heck of a lot better than reading back on my attempts to teach art and Judaism to young 'uns, maybe. Unless I find a way to make it more interesting as well as short and sweet.

I'm thinking along the lines of the way I converse, I guess. Too bad the computer can't show me through facial expressions whether or not I've grabbed its attention by blogging about my home or something. The closest I can get to that is in the number and content of comments to the blog, which, thus far, have been few and far between. Though I started this whole thing with the idea of letting our out-of-town friends, who otherwise have no clue, get some idea of what life is like down in New Orleans for us, it is developing a life of its own.

And boy am I getting sucked in. As it is, I feel like I've already gone on too long in posting. So I'm off 'til tomorrow, all.

No comments: