Wednesday, January 16, 2008


...was when I began blogging.

I had no clue, y'all. And, in some ways, I still don't.

Make no mistake. I am addicted to this thing called the blogosphere. I'm linking to so many things on occasion that there are times when I wonder if all that this monster I've created is is simply some sort of virtual signpost: go here, here, and while you're at it, head around the cyber corner to this little nook and cranny. Who has the time for all that?

Apparently, a lot of people do, and for that, I am grateful. At the very least, it lets me know I'm not totally certifiable, just partly.

It also lets me know that, if all blogging is vanity, then that sort of vanity is a many-splendored, multi-faceted thing that can accomodate all sorts of things if you let it. The good, bad, ugly, warty, startlingly beautiful, cheesy, popular, obscure, insanely artful glory of individuals logging on and pouring themselves out, bit by bit, through the writings they post, the anecdotes they share, the links they choose to put out there for others to see...it's all a palimpsest of a grandly vulgarian sort. One that's kept me checking in for more and adding some of my own to it for the past two years. And every time I think there ain't no more for me to add, that I am completely spent, the company I've kept online all this time has egged me on, challenged me, taunted me to keep on keepin' on.

And, though I've been going back and forth with myself lately about continuing with this humble li'l corner of the internets, I think I will be continuing on. Because where else but the blogosphere would pictures such as this beauty be posted?:



Thanks, Ian!

Thanks for hearing me out on a regular basis, you internet denizens, you. Carry on, all. And watch your asses, because you never know when some kinda flames will be trying to crawl up your rear...

17 comments:

oyster said...

Hey, congratulations! Keep up the good addiction, er, "work", I mean...

Leigh C. said...

I figure I'll be able to handle this whole posting thing as long as there are no needles involved. Can't STAND the needles...

Anonymous said...

a palimpsest of a grandly vulgarian sort

Damn. Can I name my next blog that?

Thanks fer the NuPak blogroll, btw

jeffrey said...

I tried to leave a comment here but it wasn't funny enough. Maybe I need to quit writing stuff on the internets.

Leigh C. said...

Jeffrey, you've been going on for longer than the Blanco administration, man. Why stop at the very beginning of PBJ's? besides, you haven't drunk up all the Rodeo Lawyer beer in the world, yet...

And, Ms V-Tex, feel free to snag that flurry of wordy diarrhea you isolated from my post for a blog title ANYtime! L'chaim!

Anonymous said...

Mazel tov, dawlin. I love the Vidalian palimpsest line; it's im-PRESS-ive...

Leigh C. said...

Especially since I've never read any Vidal...

mominem said...

Mazel tov.

New Orleans Ladder said...

Dear Mz. Most Gracious Sugar Pea, Leigh, if I had a dollar for all the laughs, pictures, references, links,insights,foresights, hindsights, outta'signts, support and creativity that I've enjoyed and lifted from your blog I would pin them on its front shirt! You were the first nola blogger to correspond with the NO News Ladder. Thank you for rescuing me from certain institutionalization. Thank you for keeping the candle burning in the window at the end of this forking long and winding road home.
Happy Bithday, Liptrap's Lament!

Anonymous said...

Yes, mazel tov! Keep up the good writing!

D-BB said...

Lippy, what's with the Ayn Rand stuff? I know u were using it for that date but are you familiar with that cult following with that Objectivism BS?

Me and them don't get along and I got band from one of their chat boards but I suppose you don't find that surprising.

So Lippy, please don't be one of them cult people. You already got a lot going against you, am I right or what?

D-BB said...

One more thing Lippy. You know I like you but why u gotta approve comments before they can be posted? I hate dat. I always behave over here. Did someone give you a bad time 'cause if so, let me know and I will take care of them for you.

Leigh C. said...

No, I'm not too into the Objectivism stuff. I was actually looking for a much older cover to Rand's play, but it seems to have missed being posted on the net someplace.

And I monitor da comments 'cause I got loads o' spam a while back. I haven't rejected a darned thing since that blitz, so, hmmm, wonder if I should let the commenting thing run wild and free as the breeze...

Anonymous said...

D-BB on the lookout - taking care of "them" for us blogging women dawlin'

cheers to you leigh, keep on bloggin'

Marco said...

I'll toast to you and your keypad.

Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) anniversary. We sure are glad you're "here".

Is it just me or is Bush's ass on fire?

Leigh C. said...

Yes, Ms Soph, the ass, the ass, the ass is on fiya.