Wednesday, July 02, 2008

CRUDE GRAPHIC REPRESENTATION OF COMPLEX CHANGES*

New capabilities of modern science and machinery
Romantic reaction against science/machinery, perceived split between sensuality and reason...Rise of British Empire
Muscular Christianity catches on in England and then America
American embrace of football heroes + threat of greater urbanization, more Jews
Protestant establishment's new emphasis on "character," rejection of studiousness
Concept of greasy grind
Nerd

*Benjamin Nugent, American Nerd


Sorry folks. Couldn't resist posting this one...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome; must pass on to all Desi and Jewish friends!

Granted I was/am the typical Indian nerd but was/am also the wild child breaking stereotypes of "demure Asian women."

Leigh C. said...

Oh, I've always been the Little Nerdlette, even in art school. This was just too, too cool to pass up.

Missy said...

Heh heh heh--cute.

Course that doesn't account for my nerdiness. I think I fall into the anglo Hermione Granger variety.

Anonymous said...

Guess you could call me a "Nerd Wannabe"...?
Damn you are one funny glass bead, You!
Thanks,
Editilla