Tuesday, January 30, 2007

In light of this senator's comments, I find it coincidental that the Times-Pic has published an article on this exhibit, which is on display close to Ground Zero. The people I know in the New York area must see this. Especially poignant quote from the article: "...as she drove around devastated New Orleans neighborhoods, she found herself 'trapped in the grief on the street.' " Ain't that living in New Orleans, circa 2007.

Speaking of living here: this series on a street closure just blocks from my home just burns me up. I am increasingly getting the feeling that all of New Orleans is the South Bronx of the 21st century, and we who live here are simply going to have to cope with that fact. Nationally known politicos are already set to grandstand in some of this city's most neglected areas, and if the visits of Presidents Carter and Reagan to the Bronx in the late 70's - early 80's are any sort of indication, all of us who live here will have to brace ourselves for these visits full of sound and fury that signify nothing. The signifying must come from us, the citizens of this city.

In a teeny way, I shot a minie ball for change this morning when I saw one of these PHKs right by my local park, and I observed two fellows struggling to get into a rental car parked just behind the big machine. I asked them if they needed help, and they said they needed a coat hanger, since they'd been locked out of the car. I ran home to get one and I put in a plug for them to plug the pothole from hell on my street when they got a chance. So here's hoping they return. If and when they do, and I am there, they're getting a king cake from me, I can tell you that.

Every little bit helps. Got to create your own hope sometimes...

2 comments:

Jonathon Morgan said...

i've wondered what it must feel like for people who are actually living in new orleans every time some politician pronounces change, or social progress, or whatever from your doorsteps...

Leigh C. said...

Well, now you have some idea. Louisiana politics has taught all of us time and again that words don't mean a thing. Our expectations are pretty low, and the past year and a half has only served to lower them even more.