Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Well, first I've got the freezing temperatures breathing down my neck.

Then, I open up my two favorite New Orleans publications and behold the latest news. And it sends a bit of a chill down my spine.

Exhibit A: This week's Gambit article by Clancy DuBos on the aptly titled "Suck Index".
Sometimes we all wish there were some sort of meter to measure how badly we think things are going, and to then apply those opinions to effect some sort of change. Polls such as the UNO Quality of Life survey are supposed to have an effect, right? The city leaders need to pay attention to this one, especially to the high percentages (higher %s meaning poorer ratings) given to the availability of housing, the condition of roads and streets ( and you thought my kvetching about potholes and traffic lights was just my personal madness, eh?), and the control of abandoned housing. Check out the rest of the list, and read that note at the beginning of the article about "excellent" being eliminated from the polling choices. Even the pollsters are harsh realists...

Exhibit B: First the Virgin Megastore bailed on the French Quarter. Then, to add big business insult to corporate injury, Tower Records closes its doors - and holds all local musicians' recorded music hostage. Moral of this story? Support the local good guys instead, like the Louisiana Music Factory, Basin Street Records, and the Tipitina's Foundation and Save NOLA music (just check out the LMF Links page and click away). Free the CDs! Free the CDs!

And now, you'll have to excuse me while I try to keep warm...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you SURE you don't want to come to canada? At least we expect to be cold.

Leigh C. said...

I'm okay. I did go to Montreal once with Dan and the little guy, driving all the way from Queens on Boxing Day in the middle of a major snowstorm.

I just need to get used to the New Orleans subtropical kind of cold again, is all...

Thanks for the offer! Considering how frequently we travel, we may well end up in your environs someday...