Saturday, June 02, 2007

Urrrrrgggghhh........

That's the sound of my sad, junkie self going on enforced cold turkey from the blogosphere. And our very own computer was the enforcer.

It happened yesterday, when the browser couldn't connect to the server. One call to tech support, and the verdict was that something was wrong with the ethernet adapter on the machine. Ohh, well, Dan'll fix it.

Nope, didn't happen.

This morning, it was another call to tech support while simultaneously making pancakes, troubleshooting the computer's IP configuration and ethernet adapter, resetting the modem, looking for a USB cord I assumed I'd tossed, getting the little guy ready for his four-year-old baseball league game today (an exercise akin to herding cats or to watching a bunch of football-style pileups in place of kids actually fielding the ball, since all the kids are just told to get the ball and throw it to a base, any base. Hey, the kids are four...), and getting myself in some kind of clothing. The cell phone mercifully cut me off after well over an hour of troubleshooting with an AT&T employee who is more than likely located overseas, so I took my son to the field.

Came home after the game for Round Three with tech support. The call ended with the recommendation that I haul in my hardware to the nearest CompUSA, Best Buy, or Circuit City to get the ethernet adapter fixed, at which time I was ready to scream my head off in frustration and in withdrawal agony. I ended up driving and driving a while until I cooled down. The adapter was fixed, no charge, and I drove on home.

After all that, a nice dinner trip with the family to the burrito stand that rules this guy's life, and a couple of frozen margaritas, I hooked everything back up to find that the ethernet adapter was still not doing its thing. Grrrrr....

In a fit of pique, I reinstalled all my DSL software, had a USB connection established (found the cord!) instead of the ethernet connection, and now I'm back. Don't know what I was expecting, though, when I went off to read everyone else's blogs to see what I'd missed. Maybe something like this:

Leela: Dear Captain's Diary: I may not have found love on this mission, but I did find a cute little companion who excretes starship fuel and that's just as good.*

Or this:

Zapp Brannigan: Stardate...uhhhhhhh....
Kif: April 13th
Brannigan: April 13th! Point 2...We have failed to uphold Brannigan's Law... however, I did make it with a hot alien babe, and in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since he looked at the stars???????!!!!! *

Oh, well. This junkie has her fix back, and that's what counts.



(*God, I love Futurama.)

4 comments:

Funky-Rat said...

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!! (and to Leigh too ;p ).

Good news, everybody! I love Futurama too.

Last year, my mom went in to NYC and took the ferry from Weehawken NJ. I asked her if she was going to Old DOOP Headquarters. She just stared blankly at me. She has no taste in tv.....

saintseester said...

4-year old baseball is a hoot. I think ours started around 6. At 5 the kids play t-ball and his exact words then were "I don't want to play no stinking t-ball." So we had to wait until he could play coach/machine pitch. At 6 they are still pretty much the same as the 4 year olds. They either pileup on the ball or hunt butterflies in the outfield.

Leigh C. said...

Yeah, I have a butterfly hunter for one bout in the field, and then he refuses to go out after his first turn in the batting order. He's either a pinch hitter or a DH at this stage of the game...

Kirsten Corby said...

Hey, Leigh, thanks for ypur congratulations on my graduation, and for dropping by my blog. Cool!