Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Day Two

(see Day One)

"Nobody reads those. Do they?"
"Sure they do. They all have families."*

Weird things began to go through my head yesterday. Don't dress the little guy in t-shirts with his school's name on 'em. Don't take him out of the house after 2 pm, lest anyone suspect he's one of those kids from the afflicted school. Yes, thinking about that stuff probably says more about me than about anybody else in this town, but hey, I was at a gathering last Wednesday and the kid waiting in the food line ahead of me would alternate talking to me and hacking away on a bad, wet cough, and all I had in mind at the time was the flu panic the media is doing its best to foment.

So. Yesterday, largely due to the weather in the morning, we stayed home until about two in the afternoon. No venturing out to the swimming pool, even though the weather did clear up not long after we decided to venture out. Our one trip out was to the library, where I settled some fines and got some new movies for the little guy to watch, as The Sword In The Stone grated on me after the third time. So we got The Great Muppet Caper at the little guy's request and The Jungle Book 2, with Baloo voiced by John Goodman and Mowgli voiced by Haley Joel Osment.

"I think I'll read for a while. Uh, I wish I had a book."*

Well, you know you've been indoors for too long watching too many movies when games like the one I played popped into my head. After a small struggle with the bottle top of an Abita Strawberry Lager (they're no longer twist-offs...grrrrrr...), I watched the weird little straight-to-DVD flick that is The Jungle Book 2 and only found out who was voicing the main characters at the end. By then, a whopping headache was developing in my cranium, so I lay down on my bed once my husband came home and started thinking about all the Haley Joel Osment movies in the context of The Jungle Book 2.

Don't try this at home 'less you have a headache:

Mowgli: If I'm gonna live here, there's gonna be some conditions.
Baloo: conditions?
Mowgli: No more dangerous stuff. No more floating down the rivers. No dancing with monkeys. More vegetables, less bananas squirted out of their peels.

After I find Shere Khan then I can go home. Mommy will love a real boy. Shere Khan will make me into one.

I see jungle animals. Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're not supposed to talk.

Are you saying you'll flunk us if we don't look for the bare necessities?

I wouldn't wish the headache I had on anybody. Really, I wouldn't.

Today, the requested breakfast was Cheerios with pickles. There's a theme developing.

Plus, the weather's better for swimming. We're gonna sunscreen it and haul out to the pool before 2 PM for a change. Ha!


*The Great Muppet Caper

3 comments:

Kelly said...

That must have been some headache! Make the most of the mandatory vacation :)

Carmen said...

I think most of us sahms are hiding in our homes until after "school" lets out. ;) I'm feeling bad about the mucho video gaming, but since it's Jurassic Park and they're studying dinosaurs, I can sort of justify it. Besides which, he's learning multitasking and design/build as well as income & expenditures.

saintseester said...

Hang in there, you know I feel for you. We were cooped up for a total of 6 days (Wed thru Tues), 3 of those were completely stormy, rainy, horrible days. I thought I would go nuts. I started just making up homework assignments to give the kids something productive to do.

Keeping my fingers crossed that your kid gets to go back soon.