Sunday, February 11, 2007

Had to post this link, folks. This fellow slogs through a lot of news and has a fantastic take on it in his blog. He posted a real gem yesterday about a recently departed citizen of these parts that reads like a microcosm of American history.

It is absolutely true that whoever saves one life saves the entire world. Why can't these idiots who are constantly attacking this area from the outside just to further their own views get it through their heads that lives, and worlds, are at stake down here? We just lost a world with Ms Wright's passing. Talking trash about New Orleans won't kill the people that are here and love it, but it will go a ways towards killing the desire others might have to venture down and see for themselves what it's like. I'm not saying it's perfect down here - far from it. I'm saying, give it a chance before you shoe-horn it into your set of preconceptions and misconceptions.

All right. In the interests of promoting various other worlds, I'm gonna get my blogroll on.

(trudging away)

(yelling from a distance) Soon. Very soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Leigh. I'm Sophmom (a/k/a Sharon). I live in Atlanta. The middle of my three sons (a/k/a Middle Son) is a junior at Loyola and has been living in New Orleans since August of 2004. He can sometimes be found bussing tables at Pascal's Manale. I've been blogging since the June before he left for college and I visited your fair city five times in the 18 months before It Happened (and twice since - for the first Geek Dinner and again for Rising Tide).

Since I was already blogging and blogging about NOLA (and Loyola) before It Happened, it was only natural that I would start blogging about It and Its Aftermath, albeit from a slightly different perspective. While I blog extensively about your city, I don't blog exclusively about your city. The NOLA bloggers (including Oyster) are some of the most committed and wonderful folks I've ever had the honor of meeting. They are one of the good things that has happened in The Aftermath. I look forward to getting the chance to meet you.

I long ago stopped "worrying" about my blog addiction and have developed a deep and abiding commitment thereto. To heck with "real life". This is better. :D

You've built an excellent blog.

Leigh C. said...

"The NOLA bloggers (including Oyster) are some of the most committed and wonderful folks I've ever had the honor of meeting. They are one of the good things that has happened in The Aftermath. I look forward to getting the chance to meet you."

You've got that right about the NOLA bloggers, Sharon. I look forward to meeting you as well very soon! Or maybe I can come to Atlanta - my aunt, uncle and cousins live there, as does my future brother-in-law's family.